The Faculty of Geology, Geophysics and Environment Protection has had its nucleus existing since the beginnings of the AGH UST: three chairs that belonged to the Faculty of Mining, the only faculty of the then Academy of Mining. These were in the chronological order: the Chair of Mineralogy and Petrography, the Chair of Geology and the Chair of Applied Geology. After World War II, in 1946, they were incorporated into the newly established Faculty of Geology and Surveying that evolved into the Faculty of Geology in 1951 (surveying formed its own Faculty of Mine Surveying) and the Faculty of Geology and Geological Prospecting in 1952.
In the next years, the Faculty steadily grew and its structure underwent some changes, e.g. in 1967 several chairs of the Faculty together with part of the Faculty of Mining created the Faculty of Drilling and Oil (currently the Faculty of Drilling, Oil and Gas). Reorganisation of the AGH in 1968 brought about the institute structure that existed till the end of 1992. It was then that the four institutes of the Faculty were divided into ten chairs and departments.
In the next years, three of them were further divided, and – as a result – the Faculty was composed of 14 chairs and departments. Currently, the Faculty has eight chairs and three additional units: the Geological Museum, the Faculty Laboratory and the Faculty Library. After considerable expanding its curriculum, the Faculty was renamed in 1992 and since then it has functioned as the Faculty of Geology, Geophysics and Environment Protection.
All rights reserved © 2019 Akademia Górniczo-Hutnicza